Monday, April 4, 2011

John Frieda 3 Day Straight Experiment - Day 1

So a lot of you have been curious about the John Frieda 3 Day Straight semi-permanent styling spray that I bought.  I thought it might be fun for you all to follow along in the testing of this product, or at least interesting if not fun.  


Okay so this is what they say are the results you can expect from this product. 






So let's start with the before pictures!


My hair is naturally wavy, not necessarily curly.  And it's naturally poufy too, like a puffy down coat kind of poufy.  I usually like my hair on day 2 more than day 1, after it's had a chance to de-pouf a little.  I also have a lot of layers in my hair currently. This picture was my hair after it was washed, air dried to about 75% dry, styling serum applied and then blow dried using my hands to scrunch up any curl.  I have touched up the fly aways with a curling iron here and added a finishing cream.   


Now for the product directions: 


It says to start with 7-15 sprays depending on your hair length or thickness.  I used 7 sprays for this first time, just so I didn't over do it.  The product smells nice, kind of a fruity smell to it but not over cloyingly sweet.  You know me and fragrance descriptions, so that is the best I can do.  I can't really smell it now that my hair is dry so it isn't overpowering either. 


So what were the results?  Here is my hair after washing it, air drying to about 40% dry, 7 sprays of the 3 day straight and blow drying using my round brush.  
As I said I do have quite a few layers in my hair.  The ends that are flipped up & the wave left in my hair are primarily due to the the way I dry it with the round brush, rather than the product not working. 


Here it is after I touched it up with my flat iron, 


So here's a question.  Why did I wear my baby blue housecoat for these photos?  
Truly... sigh. 

Anyway here are my initial thoughts.  I am excited by the results so far!  I think that my hair felt smoother and easier to style this way than it does normally.  I usually start with a styling serum but today I didn't put anything in my hair other than the 3 day spray. Typically I have to use my round brush or a paddle brush, then straight iron in sections and smooth it further with another styling cream or serum.  Instead this took me about the half the time that it normally would, and was smoother after just blow drying than it is normally.  Also this is WITHOUT any finishing cream or serum.  I can tell you that there is no way my hair would normally lie this smoothly without the products I typically use. 


So there you have it after Day 1.  I hope this has been helpful.  I'll take another photo tomorrow, in perhaps a different outfit, for my Day 2 update.  


What do you all think so far?
Tracy

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this! I do love the result as well and i cant wait to see day 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I need this in my life. But I'll wait until I see your third day before buying ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kenzie - Thanks, I think it's going to be interesting to see how it holds up!

    Marie - I need so many things in my life too ..at least in my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice!
    I like your blue housecoat! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracy - Available at Le Zellers if I remember right..it's very fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a really cool product. I am assuming you can't wash your hair inbetween day 1 and day 3? I get night sweats (gross I know) so I wash my hair pretty much every day. i need something to help control the frizz though.
    I forgot to add pics of the swatches on my haul post but they are up now. I have swatches of the smoothie pencils as well. Let me know if you would like to see bigger swatches and I can email them to you.
    xx
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alicia - I think the intention is that you don't have to wash & straighten your hair for 3 days, b/c this will hold the style. But life gets in the way of that, people work out, camp, etc. and wash their hair more often than others, so I think the idea is that if you use it for 1 day or for 3 you will be happy with the result. I'll post my final thoughts about that after Day 3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow. This is really interesting. I've never seen this before! I am glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your natural hair is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

    Okay...done swooning.

    I'm eager to see the results on day 3!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow thanks Charlotte, so sweet...that made my day!!

    Pop Blush - So far so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would kill for your natural waves. I'm very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda - That's very sweet but trust me those are my natural waves with curling iron and product help. My natural natural waves are a bit more bush woman as Mr. J likes to call it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...