Friday, September 30, 2011

Some hits & misses!

So the thrill of the shopping trip is over, the buzz *slight regret*  has worn off.  By the way, that small type thing isn't mine.  I stole it from one of my favourite blogs, this free bird, written by the hilarious, gorgeous and funky free bird Carrie.  Check her out!  

Okay so shopping trip, that's over, yada yada.  As always, some things were great and some...meh, not so much.  Here in no particular order are some of my hits and misses.  


Brushlab ceramic  brush


I believe mine is the 2 1/2 inch one.  Love this brush, I do feel like it's kinder to my hair than my old metallic one.  Doesn't get tangled, slides thru easier.  Love it.  If you round brush you should own this brush.  Hit. 

Redken Blown Away hair serum


Not so blown away by this.  I expected it to be more like a lotion than a serum for some reason, which kind of threw me off.  This really didn't seem to do anything for my hair.  Which is upsetting considering I bought two of these for the nieces, but hopefully they'll enjoy these more than I did.  Happily I only bought the travel size.  Miss.

Stila Living the Life in Laguna palette


Well here's another one I also bought for the nieces...annnndd another miss.  Not good.  I've heard mixed reviews on these palettes but had to try them & again maybe the girls will like them better than I do.  The cute quote & mirror and little instructional panel are nice touches.  Unfortunately the eyeshadows & blush don't have great color pay off, or staying power for that matter.  Shadows are also a little too shimmery for this girl.  Sadly...miss.

Hawaiian Tropic Lip Balm


What can I say, this is just a little lip balm.  But it smells (and tastes??) like Hawaii.  Nuff said.  Huge hit.  Wish I would have bought 800 of them! 

Hard Candy Sheer Envy Skin Perfecting Primer


Can you see how it's sliding off my hand here?  Not a good sign.  I realize that is a generous dollop but this product feels a little too greasy on my skin.  It is a silicone based primer, so if you don't like those...you won't like this.  I didn't really feel like this did anything to 'perfect' my skin.  That, plus the greasy feel makes it a miss.  

ELF cream eyeliner


What a great surprize this little liner was.  It glides on well, stays put and no transfer.  There  is a bit of fading throughout the day, but no more than other liners.  This performs like a high end cream liner in my opinion, and for only $3.  Love, love, love..wear it daily.  Hit.  

NYX powder blush in Peach


No Tracy (not me..Beauty Reflections Tracy) this is not a blush you need to own.  This blush just does not show up on my skin, which you can see here. 


It's not just that though, this is chalky. 


In fairness I have heard great things about 'Angel' and would likely try that next time I'm Stateside, or I'll just go for their cream blushes.  Didn't work for me at all.  Miss.  

Sonia Kashuk powder brush


This brush totally reminds me of Sigma's F05 brush and performs pretty much the same way.  I use it to apply highlighter to the tops of my cheekbones, down my nose, above my eyes, etc.  Works great, soft, doesn't shed, easy to clean.  Hit.

Maybelline Lash Discovery Mini Brush mascara


Well it did say mini..and they meant it.  This does a great job of seperating your lashes and getting those hard to reach little lashes on the corners.  It really reminds me of Clinique's bottom lash mascara.  That said, this would be better for a touch up mascara as opposed to a full task mascara.  It took too long for this impatient girl and didn't give me enough volume, obviously.  Bit of a miss.  

Victoria Secret Lost in Fantasy body spray


Thought I'd end this on a positive note.  This is a beautiful soft, tropical smelling fragrance.  Great one for every day and non offensive for the office.  Hit.

So let me know your thoughts.  Have you tried any of these?  Do you agree or disagree with my hits & misses list?  

22 comments:

  1. I'm still in search of the most fabulous lash extending mascara...any advice? I feel like I've tried just about every brand and not happy with any of them....

    - Mac
    - Cover Girl
    - Christian Dior
    - Sephora
    - Benefit
    - etc etc etc

    Thanks for the good tips. I totally want that lip balm that smells like Hawaii. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. anything tropical or coconut smelling has me sold! That lip balm sounds great.
    Interesting to hear about the Maybelline lash discovery- makeup guru Emilynoel83 swears by the stuff for her bottom lashes! I wonder why we can't get it here in Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I had to deal with a greasy primer in the past and thrust me, it didn't stay long on my vanity! What's the point if it's not quickly absorbed into the skin if it's the first step in a mkeup routine? That's disappointing from Hard Candy though as I'm in love with their Fox in a Box blush and I really want to try some other products. Will avoid this one though!

    The NYX blosh looks pretty, it's a shame it's sheer and chalky! I have only one blush from NYX and it's their Cream Blush in Natural - it's one of my favorite blush ever! Super pigmented and absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Elf cream liner too! So amazing for so cheap!
    Where can i find the lip balm? I might need that in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post.. xD I have to tell you though if you plan to get NYX's blush in angel.. it's even lighter than peach. I mean, peach barely shows up on me. But angel. Does not show up one bit. I have an old post with swatches here, thought I'd share xx http://xdynax.blogspot.com/2010/11/nyx-blushes-review-with-swatches-and.html xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha you make me laugh!!!! Hahahaha! Thanks for saving me from the NYX blush! I'm heading to California in November so I won't hunt it down. But the cream ones are better?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the NYX Peach blush and I actually like it *because* it's so sheer. I don't like heavily pigmented blushes (LOOKING AT YOU NARS).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummm... the Hawaiian Tropic Lipbalm! I don't see that anywhere around here. Could have really used it in the summer.

    When my ban is over, I might track down some of those ELF cream shadows. Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to try the VS body spray not just because you said the smell is nice but because i love the bottle lol. Great post, thanks for letting us know what you loved and loathed, now I know what I will definitely not buy and what I should try : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, I was almost about to buy that Stila palette too! So glad I didn't now. Thanks so much for this detailed post. Very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ryan - Have your tried L'oreal Voluminous? I've also heard great things about the new Benefit Are They Real Mascara & can't wait to try that one, although it's tres pricey! I actually really like Elf's mineral mascara as well, sounds crazy but true.

    Nikosmommy - I think it would be great for the bottom lashes, it does kinda remind me of the Clinique bottom lash mascara, just not good for an overall mascara.

    Gaby - I you are to blame for me wanting to try their cream blushes :)

    T - I know it's a great liner right? And I got mine at Walmart in the States but apparently they have been seen at CVS too. I'm going to order some online, they smell THAT good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dyna - Thanks so much for the heads up, scratching that off my list and moving on to their cream blushes only. I will check out your swatches!

    Liz - The ELF cream liner is truly a little gem, I don't see how anyone can be disappointed in them, especially for $3!

    Marie - Isn't the bottle pretty, I can appreciate how that appeals to you!

    Huda - Well just my two cents but nothing I would rush out to buy again :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad I found your blog! I love the idea of "hits and misses". I was wondering about the NYX blushes because I love some of their other products. Thanks for saving me some money!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in the market for a new brush, you would be appalled at what I'm using now...so thanks for the brush tip. Would like to try the elf liner but what kind of brush(?) do I use? Seriously, I need some help!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello dear, another beauty junkie adding her self to your blog...
    I love NYX products they are great quality and very affordable
    i
    Great post hun

    I invite you to my blog follow me?


    blessings



    http://glamstyln.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Frances - I'm so glad, thanks for coming by my blog!

    Carmen - Sent you an email... :)

    Lizbeth & Christina - I will definitely check out your blogs, thanks ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I want that lip balm. I love anything that smells like a tropical vacation and have used Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen before but not the lip balms.
    Sorry you had several misses. That's no fun!

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats again on winning the giveaway! We were so happy that your number came up!!

    Jayme & Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  19. Between the Sonia Kashuk powder brush and Sigma F05, which would you prefer to contour with?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Unknown - I use them both for highlighting more than contouring, but if I had to pick one for contouring I'd say the Sigma. Let me know if you try either of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks! do you think the sonia kashuk brush is still good for contouring? i plan on buying it, but if it's not i might go with the sigma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes I do, it's actually a little shorter than the Sigma so I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...