Sunday, January 2, 2011

Best of 2010 - Mascara

This is a little tougher as I don't have all the mascaras that I have been thru this year,  just given that I usually toss them after 2-3 months...like any good mascara wearer.  So some of this will be by memory, rather than being able to look at/use the mascara again.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder so I hope this is my best un-biased review.  Here are the mascaras that I've used this year, with a few additional ones listed in the picture description.


Best of 2010 Mascara
L'Oreal Voluminous both in Carbon Black* & Black Brown; Rimmel Glam Eyes Lash Flirt in Kohl Black; Covergirl Lash Blast Fusion in Black Brown; Covergirl Original Lash Blast in Black Brown*; Covergirl Exact Eyelights in Black Ruby; Hard Candy Ginormous Lash in Blackout; Clinique Lash Doubling Mascara in Black; Maybelline Falsies in Black; Clinique High Impact in Black; Benefit Bad Gal Lash in Black* (*not pictured)

Favourite Mascara 2010
L'Oreal Voluminous in Black Brown

No matter if you get this in the beloved Carbon Black or my personal choice, Black Brown, this is an absolute winner.  If you haven't tried it yet, you really should.  It's less than $10CAD at most drugstores and it is truly one of best mascaras I've ever tried. This is my back up that I photographed..which I'm forcing myself not to open until I've finished at least one other mascara first.  Le sigh.  Easy to apply, gives you both volume and length, doesn't flake, total winner!  

Honourable Mention
Surprise...another tie
 Clinique Lash Doubling Mascara in Black

This Clinique mascara is the one that they often include in their free gift with purchase, & is a great way to try this product.  This mascara doesn't provide a lot of volume but it does give nice length and definition.  When I don't want to think about which mascara I'm putting on, I grab for this one (which I hope is a compliment).  This retails for about $18CAD, which is more than I like to spend on something that lasts only a few months...but this doesn't dry out or clump up very quickly and you will get the full life out of it. 

Covergirl Original Lash Blast


The Lash Blast is another great pretty much no fail mascara.  This particular formula will give you more volume than length, if that is what you're looking for.  I really like the rubberized brush & find it's easy to apply and does not clump or flake.  Covergirl mascaras are easy to find on sale, typically for less than $8CAD..can't go wrong to try it, especially if you want full 'well look at me' lashes!

Least Favourite Mascara 2010
Rimmel Glam' Eyes Lash Flirt

I really have liked a lot of Rimmel products this year, but this sadly was not one of them.  A lot of people like that the brush is quite unique with larger spaces in between the bristles & is quite flexible.  Unfortunately this was just what didn't work for me.  I found it hard to apply, as the wand just wouldn't hold tight enough against my lashes.  This also flaked on me after only a few hours.  Overall a big miss.  I know this has worked for a lot of people as it has some great reviews online...but just not a winner on my eyes.  I still plan on trying much talked about  Rimmel Sexy Curves, even though I didn't have luck with this one. 

What mascaras did you love/loathe this year?  

10 comments:

  1. Loved Maxfactor's False Lash Effect! Really wanna try L'Oreal Voluminous but I have a Lashblast back up :) I also hated my Rimmel one, it was like the one you've listed but pink.. horrid thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome post! I really like the covergirl mascara too.

    www.glamandgorgeous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. MakeYuUp - I will have to try the MaxFactor, especially since we seem to have very similar taste in mascara. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie, thanks for stopping by & commenting. Lash Blast is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not really a big fan of mascara but yours sound fab! I'd love to try out the L'Oreal Voluminous in Black Brown and CoverGirl Lash Blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I try a new mascara, I end up going back to Maybelline Great Lash. I often find others too clumpy or just too much on my lashes all at once. And it seems the more I pay, the quicker it dries up. I think I will give the Voluminous a try, though. I trust you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rizzie if you're not a mascara fan I'd say go for the Covergirl..it's a great no think easy to apply mascara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shawna that's sweet. I think you would might actually really like the Clinique one, that is more along the lines of the Great Lash as it has a little less product on the brush than Voluminous does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lash blast and maybelline the falsies are my total faves of the year!

    Vonnie
    http://www.socialitedreams.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the "best of' that I have been waiting for! Being a redhead, I can't leave home without mascara on because my lashes would blend in with my pasty white skin! Thanks for the tips, I have tried Voluminous and liked it but hated Clinique High Impact (too clumpy). Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...