Friday, February 11, 2011

Makeup I Love But Don't Use and Why? Tag!

Andree from Straight Up Glam had this tag on her blog, and I thought it was so interesting to read.  I just discovered Andree's blog recently, she is a fellow Canadian and has a ton of great reviews & fun posts on her blog..check her out!  


The idea is to choose 5 things you love but never seem to use, and why.  As you all saw from my 'best of 2010' posts I have way too much of everything, but you'd be surprized how much of it I manage to slap on, on a regular basis.  There are some items though that just don't seem to get enough attention.  So, in no particular order here are the top 5 items that I love but don't use.  


1.  MAC MSF in By Candlelight




I do love this, or at least I love the idea of this.  Who doesn't want to have their face look like it's bathed in candlelight.  My biggest issue is that I just don't know how best to apply it.  I've yet to find a brush that works just right.  If any of you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.  


2. Cover FX mineral foundation





Couple of things, first I hate the packaging.  This is such an awkward strange design, that makes it messy & difficult to store.  I also think this color is a bit too light for me so if I use it, I have to mix it with something in order for it to work.  Also, because of the design I have to tap some in a lid of another product so that I can apply it.  I will say I do love the coverage of this once it's on.  But the pain of the packaging, combined with the wrong shade results in me skipping over this all the time. 


3. Dark or Bright Lipstick



These are from Clinique & I got both of them in a free gift with purchase.  I always think 'oh I can sheer these out & make them wearable', because I do like the formulation.  But then, I never sheer them out and make them wearable, and they just sit in my drawer until they expire.  All the while, as I continue to reach for my light pink & nude colors.  At least they clearly print the expiry date on the tube.


4. Bobbi Brown eyeshadow




These are great shadows, they apply nicely, have great pigmentation, blend beautifully and have good staying power.  Why don't I use them more?  I have no idea, well actually I might...but I'll get to that in a minute.  These are huge shadows, as you can see from the comparison with the MAC MSF.  I did manage to finish one, which was a great base color.  The others, I've barely made a dent...but I'm determined & will make more of an effort to wear these.  


5.  Hard Candy Blush in Honeymoon



I love the look of this but this is not really a blush, it's more of a highlight.  A highlight that is very very very subtle, and I'm not patient enough for very very very subtle most days. This would be great for that daytime glow but I never seem to grab for it.  I keep it in with my blushes, maybe I'll move it to where I have my highlighters & that will remind me to use it.  


So there they are.  Did you notice that 4 out of the 5 items are higher end?  


Do you ever buy a candle & then never burn it.  Or have a 'good set' of dinnerware, glassware, etc. and keep them stored in a cabinet.  


Here's why I shouldn't have nice things.  I don't use them. If they cost a bit more money, I squirrel these items away.  I keep them pristine and untouched for as long as I can, until I forget that I even own them. It's a sickness, it's unexplainable, it's the truth.  Am I alone here? 


How about you, what are your loves that don't get love?  Do you regularly use everything all the things you love?  I tag anyone who wants to do this because I'd love to read it!  



p.s. To any of my family or friends who are reading this.  Please don't stop buying me nice things.  Thank you.


20 comments:

  1. I love MAC's MSF By candlelight. Like all their MSF's I apply a sweep of colour under my eye/above my cheek area (around the top of my cheeks if that makes sense?!)
    It gives a nice dewy glow without big chunks of glitter. For some reason I like using my ELF kabuki brush for this product, but any soft blush/bronzer brush would do. Less is more with a shimmery product like MSF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to say give me the Bobbi Brown eyeshadows if you don't use it - hahaha! I don't have money to buy nice stuff.. it's kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julianne - I'm on a strict budget right now too, so I really need to love the things I have...and there is much to love about these shadows. Not to say that expensive always means better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikosmommy - I've never tried the ELF kabuki for this, I will give it a shot. I think the brushes I've used might have been too densely packed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could try using those lipsticks as a cream blush, that's what I do with my lipsticks that are too dark or too bright :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catsnarkle - Interesting idea, I would have never thought to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love the By Candle Light MSF. It was actually in my favorites of 2010. I use my MAC 165 brush with it because it's dense enough to really blend it into your skin but fluffy enough to apply the right amount of product. Also, it's a little pinky so it's best to use if your skin is a little tanner otherwise it'll look like you've got blush on in weird places.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lilqtpy85 - I just googled a picture of that MAC brush, I love it! On my current budget I'm going to have to try & find a dupe of that. Thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also don't use my By Candlelight MSF! I think it's only because I have a million and one other highlighters though, hehe!
    Thanks for the link! =D

    Andrée xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andree - You're more than welcome..and glad to hear I'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has nothing to do with makeup but the thing that I like to buy and never use are journals. I love the variety of covers and styles to buy, but when I get them home I don't want to write in them and ruin them! It's weird...

    ReplyDelete
  12. FairyGirl - Not weird at all! Journals, candles, fancy dishes..all the same sort of idea. I like things pristine too so I completely get that. Journals still look good on a shelf even if there's nothing in them, so not a complete waste :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a ton of colored eye liners and random eye shadows I don't uses. I used to be into purples and now not so much ... I adore my neutrals and blues, and my smoky eye collection of grays, silver and black.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, I cannot find that Hard Candy "blush" anywhere - if you ever decide to give up on it, oh please, oh please may I buy it??? Sorry to beg, I just really have been wanting it :S

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was really a great post! I love reading your posts. Great blog! Following :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vanessa - Thanks so much, I've enjoyed reading thru your blog as well & am following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. April - I think that's actually a great idea for another post, Things I used to love but have broken up with!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Erin - Your comment cracked me up, I feel like I should really love on & appreciate this blush so much more now :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting post! The MAC Candlelight sounds intriguing. I've never heard of it before. For me it's lipstick. I love lipstick, but once I get it home and try it it's never the right color so I have a drawer full of barely used lipsticks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Laurel - Lipstick is one of those things I have to work at it, I get lazy and end up just putting on gloss or lip balm rather than bother with the whole applying & reapplying routine :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...