Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Possible drugstore dupe for the new NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil

NARS just released a new Velvet Gloss lip pencil, which is a glossy version of the Velvet Matte pencil.  Available in six shades, on narscosmetics.com, retailing for $24USD.  


When I read this description of the pencils "the new pencils impart a non-sticky luminosity to lips, while featuring a lightweight formula enriched with Vitamin E"  I immediately thought of something I had recently bought, that sounded very similar.  Which was this....


The Visibly Wet Shockingly Glossy Lip Pencil by Hard Candy

I got this recently at Walmart when I was fruitlessly searching for Glamoflauge.  These caught my eye and I decided to try one.  I got the one in shade 240 'beauty'.  


If you look on the Hard Candy website you will see these come in 15 different shades.  I didn't see 15 of them at my Walmart, but they did have at least 6 or 7 different ones there.  They are about the same size as the NYX jumbo pencils, so you will need to keep that in mind for sharpening them.  

Anyway, I would describe this as a cross between a lip liner, lip gloss and lip balm.  They go on creamy smooth, and feel so moisturizing on my lips.  Not at all sticky, to me it feels almost like a tinted lip balm but with more of a color payoff.  Super easy to apply & lasts as long as any similar product on me.  


The color of this pencil isn't showing up as vibrant in these pictures, it's actually a much deeper pink.  I think if you wanted a product like the NARS pencil, but didn't want to shell out the money you might want to try this Hard Candy pencil first.  I bought mine for under $8CAD, which is a big savings!  

Has anyone else tried these?  What are your thoughts?




11 comments:

  1. I love the color of your lip liner. I haven't tried any Hard Candy products yet, we just got them at Walmart but they don't offer the whole line. I've heard great things about their concealer but I can't find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marie! Unfortunately us Canadians don't get the same selection as those in the States, so far Glamoflauge isn't available in Canada..at least that I've found. Such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, those look great! i want to try out the hard candy ones, definitely would be a great savings if they are comparable :D

    Vonnie
    http://www.socialitedreams.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually just bought one over the weekend in glamazon. I was torn between that and beauty! I have been testing it before I do a post on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber - Yay, I'm excited to hear your thoughts. On the website they have a lighter pink one I think it's called cupcake. It looks so pretty but I didn't see that at my Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vonnie - For such an affordable price I think they are definitely worth a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually have one of these (in a hot coral colour) and love the way it feels on my lips. I would never have thought about it being a dupe for the NARS ones but you are right, I think they are a great dupe. Thanks for sharing. The colour you have is gorgeous.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alicia - I agree, these feel so great on the lips. Today I successfully wore this pencil for about 4 hours - which is a feat for me, given how much water, coffee, etc I drink :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one of these too, I haven't had a chance to write a review on it or anything but I love the feeling of it on my lips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julianne - I know, they are so incredibly soft & moisturizing yet it stays on..glad you love it too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...